Looking to turbo my four cylinder mustang

General auto enthusiast topics...

Moderators: RichardA, DEALER1, Prin

Brent Davis
I have no life

Looking to turbo my four cylinder mustang

Post by Brent Davis » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:57 pm

I have been looking at stock turbo parts and stinger-performance. Does anybody happen to have any stock four cylinder turbo parts they would sell. Or know anything that I might need too for this build.
Whistling Wings Kennel
Training in waterfowl, upland, adventure dog, and obedience
256-498-5227 Store Phone
256-506 8231 Brent Cell
www.theultimatesportingdog.com
Also like us at our Facebook page Whistling Wings Kennel

heaman
Sr. Postwhore

Post by heaman » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:30 pm

You should look around in the junkyards for an older T-bird turbo coupe. If memory serves me right, they have a turbo version of the same 2.3L motor your car has.
Heath
-------

Bunta
Jr. Postwhore

Post by Bunta » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:16 pm

Doesn't the Turbo Probe share that engine as well?

Troy Denby
I absolutely have no life

Post by Troy Denby » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:21 pm

Bunta wrote:Doesn't the Turbo Probe share that engine as well?

dont think so...

where is turbo54

Bunta
Jr. Postwhore

Post by Bunta » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:31 pm

Nope, I was wrong. The probe Turbo was a 2.2l mazda engine, and only made 145hp anyway.

The Mustang and Turbo Coupe T-bird made 200hp with a T-4 turbo.

Carry on :)

Dakar318

Post by Dakar318 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:36 pm

EBAY!!! lol

CMcCarthy

Post by CMcCarthy » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:42 pm

you'd be much better off to buy a complete thunderturd and swap it all into the mustang.
-Charles
97_ek wrote:Kill it with fire. Honda sux. Nobody cares about going fast around the ring. I'd rather have 700hp in a boat. Murica. Carry on

Troy Denby

Post by Troy Denby » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:44 pm

CMcCarthy wrote:you'd be much better off to buy a complete thunderturd and swap it all into the mustang.

agreed.....

usmcrebel

Post by usmcrebel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:48 am

donor car FTW, look at the turbo coupes, and merkur's, or you could just buy an SVO, or some 84 gt's also had the ooption of a 2.3l turbo motor IIRC. these cars are the 2.3l turbo engine cars.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."
-Col. Robert J. Coates, USMC

1911: Because pistol whipping someone with plastic won't get your point across.

roadrunner
I should help pay for bandwidth

Post by roadrunner » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:41 am

slammed85c10 wrote:
Bunta wrote:Doesn't the Turbo Probe share that engine as well?

dont think so...

where is turbo54
i would pm him, he might still check those. He has done lots of work to his turbo coupe and probably has lots of parts laying around. It is worth a shot anyway.
Ross

2007 Pontiac G6
2006 VW Jetta (wife's ride)

R.I.P. to all we have lost... Jerimiah, Topher, and Meagher

usmcrebel

Post by usmcrebel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:16 am

if your just looking to put a turbo on your 4 banger read this.

You can install a turbo on a N/A 2.3 but don't turn the boost up past 5-6 psi. If you do, the pistons will disinegrate! And, even running that low psi, they probably won't last very long anyway! True turbo motors came from the factory with forged pistons. Forged pistons will take the heat and pressure of forced induction. N/A pistons are made of cast metal. They're very brittle and simply can't take the heat and pressure. So, if you're going to rebuild your motor, simply replace the cast pistons with forged units. You'll also need to fabricate some sort of oil drainback for the turbo. Oil is fed into the center section of the turbo from the top, circulates and drains back into the oil pan. 2.3 turbo blocks have a threaded drainback hole thats tapped into the block just above the oil pan to accomplish this task. If you have a bare N/A block, you can drill and tap this boss in the block and acquire the appropriate brass fitting to screw into it. The fitting can be found on any turbo block in the junkyard and occasionally they're for sale on Ebay. Another alternative is to tap into the oil pan, above the oil line and run a hose from the bottom of the center section to the pan. That's it for the actual shortblock. True turbo heads have a different combustion chamber and port configuration than N/A heads along with exhaust valves made from a stronger metal known as Iconel.

Turbo motors use a Vane Air Meter and larger 35# fuel injectors for fuel and air delivery. Both can be found in the junkyard or on Ebay. To provide the appropriate amount of fuel to the injectors along with the correct metering of air, you'll need the right computer. An LA2 or LA3, found in '87-'88 Thunderbird TurboCoupes with 5-speeds is the one you want. An LB2, LB3 and PE will also work. The LB series is for TC's with automatics and the PE, the most aggressive of all computers, is found in the Mustang SVO. The computers themselves are easily swapped. You'll also have to repin the wiring harness computer connector. Most people give up here because it sounds like such a daunting task! It's probably the simplest procedure in the whole swap. There are several websites that give you step by step instructions. To correlate with the new computer, you'll need an Air Charge Temperature (ACT) sensor. It threads into the side of the lower intake manifold. You can swap in a lower intake from an '87-'88 TC or drill and tap your existing manifold to accept the ACT sensor. In addition, you'll need either a factory or aftermarket boost controller to control your boost pressure. A good idea would be to add a 255 lph fuel pump to provide the additional fuel that's needed. Too many turbo applications have died due to lean conditions!

By far the cheapest, most thorough and simplest way to add a turbo to your N/A Mustang is to purchase a donor car and swap everything over. The first choice would be a '87-'88 Thunderbird TurboCoupe. They come with a factory 195 hp turbo'd 2.3, T5 and 8.8 rearend with disc brakes and 3.55:1 gears. All this can be easily swapped into a Mustang. In addition, you'll have everything you need along with a zillion nuts, bolts, fasteners, etc. There are many other parts that can be swapped into a Mustang as well. Interior pieces, suspension pieces, brakes, the list is endless. Here's the kicker. '87-'88 TC's are a dime a dozen, at least on the West Coast. $500 will get you a good running, high mileage TC. And as you know, 2.3's are pretty much bulletproof! The iceing on the cake is, what you don't use on your project, you can resell on Ebay or any of the message boards dedicated to 2.3 turbos. There's a good sized market out there for used TC parts. Your $500 will be recouped in no time!

If you can't find a '87-'88 TC, the next best thing would be a '83-'86 TC, followed by an '85-'89 Merkur XR4ti. There are turbo Cougars out there that are also good candidates. I believe '85-'86 are the years for them. Of course an SVO would be the ultimate! However, they're pretty rare and you probably wouldn't want to part one out. Below is a list of websites of both vendors and just regular Turboforders that offer tons of information. I hope this addressed some of the basic questions of turboing a N/A 2.3. It really isn't a very hard swap. If you have some basic mechanical ability and a good set of handtools, you can easily perform this swap. You'll learn a few things along the way and the sense of accomplishment you'll acquire will make it all worthwhile. Oh, and you'll be amazed at how quick you car is gonna be!
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."
-Col. Robert J. Coates, USMC

1911: Because pistol whipping someone with plastic won't get your point across.

phordguy
Hsvracing Member

Post by phordguy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:19 pm

Bunta wrote:Nope, I was wrong. The probe Turbo was a 2.2l mazda engine, and only made 145hp anyway.

The Mustang and Turbo Coupe T-bird made 200hp with a T-4 turbo.

Carry on :)
All 2.3L turbo ford 4 bangers from the factory came with a T3 60 trim input side and .63 or .48 exhaust. NONE of the ford 2.3l turbos came with a T4 from the factory. Also the automatic 2.3L turbo from the 83-84 GT, 83~86 tbird and automatic xr4ti's had only 145 hp (small slider cam). The 87~88 turbocoupe, svo 85.5 ~ 86 and manual trans xr4ti engines are the ones you want to look for. Many people, myself included like the ranger roller due to the roller followers and being easier on oil and long life.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2- ... rview.html

How much power do you want to make???

Brent Davis
I have no life

Post by Brent Davis » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:01 pm

I just want about 4 or 5 pounds of boost and one hell of a blow off just to make a bunch of nosie lol
Whistling Wings Kennel
Training in waterfowl, upland, adventure dog, and obedience
256-498-5227 Store Phone
256-506 8231 Brent Cell
www.theultimatesportingdog.com
Also like us at our Facebook page Whistling Wings Kennel

Dakar318

Post by Dakar318 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:12 pm

either swap or build it.

phordguy
Hsvracing Member

Post by phordguy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:59 pm

Hey I was wrong, and I'll be the first to admit it. I forgot to add the 87/88 turbocoupe thunderbirds didn't have a garret airesearch T3 like the GT's, SVO's, or the Merkur XR4ti's, they had a different, smaller Warner Ishi IHI turbo with a .48 exhaust ratio. You can get by with 5 psi no problem with a stock motor if you fuel it enough! I have heard of it but as Asa said it is risky...