What Did You Do to Your Hotrod Today?

General auto enthusiast topics...

Moderators: DEALER1, RichardA, Prin

OMGWTFBODY
I absolutely have no life

Re: What Did You Do to Your Hotrod Today?

Post by OMGWTFBODY » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:45 pm

vehicular wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:15 pm
racinfast002 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:09 pm
I washed our new Kia telluride. Not going to lie it’s pretty nice. Especially nice for a Kia. 3rd row big suvs are insanely expensive these days. It was a good alternative to the big name ones.
I'm embarassed at how much I like these. I never thought the day would come that I would consider buying a Kia.
I got passed by a new Rolls SUV in Virginia on Monday. it was blacked out and I swore it was a telluride until I got close enough to see badges.

I'm not a huge Kia fan, but if you get a good one, they're great. Put 165,000 miles on our Sedona with almost no issues.
STeeL wrote:Not a bad price for unlimited dicks.

1slow64
Sr. Postwhore

Post by 1slow64 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:13 pm

vehicular wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:15 pm
I'm embarassed at how much I like these. I never thought the day would come that I would consider buying a Kia.
Kia has really been upping their game lately. I really like the look of the Telluride, K5, and the 2021 Sorrento. Would have a Stinger GT if they weren't so expensive.
64 GMC Fleetside
70 Bronco
07 Tahoe LTZ

Wilson!

Post by Wilson! » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:48 pm

the 2021 Sorento looks more like and Explorer than the new Explorer looks like an Explorer.

racinfast002
Special Tool

Post by racinfast002 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:27 pm

We looked at everything. Drove everything. And at the end of the day the Telluride was absolutely the best value for the features. And I’m right there with you on never buying a Kia or especially spending this much on one, yet here I am, loving it. Now that being said all it does is haul people family duty. It won’t tow my boat, won’t follow my Jeep, but it is fantastic at hauling people in a pretty comfortable interior. Also air condition seats are pimp.
JUSTIN
Krispy Kreme wrote:Yall think I don't get girls. Cause I ain't very tall, but if she sees my stacks I'd bet you that she'd call.

<ZZ>
King 7

Post by <ZZ> » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:34 am

nice suv for little people

CAMARO-MAC
Sr. Postwhore

Post by CAMARO-MAC » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:57 am

My mother in Law just bought one of these last week. Loaded out with black wheels, she loves it. And I get to drive it on family trips. It ought to be nice for over 60k for hers. I like the way they look.

Nemo
ROLL TIDE

Post by Nemo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:26 am

They are handsome vehicles for sure. It would be one on the list if I was in the market for one. But I am gonna roll this Lexus till 400k lol

maireeka

Post by maireeka » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:46 am

All the miata lacks is vacuum lines to the turbo, wg, and bov, and some sort of air filter setup.

There are a lot of real smart folks with turbos on here so ill ask. If my turbine has a 2 inch inlet, would a 2 inch intake pipe be okay, or are there some sort of volumetric advantages to a larger (say 3 inch) intake pipe with a 2 to 3 inch reducer/coupler at the turbine? Charge pipes are 2 inch. 1.6l engine, 6krpm redline, probably wont make more than 200hp (would love to see 220).
Miata, wrx, 4runner

Patrick

Hodgdon Extreme
Jr. Postwhore

Post by Hodgdon Extreme » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:46 am

2" will be fine. If it were a "maximum effort" build, we could argue the merits of different sizes and tapers and volumes - but for your purposes - just do whatever is easiest and doesn't look stupid.

Hope you've installed a good clutch; my 1.6 miata's oem clutch was good to go - until I added boost. Literally first time I passed 4500rpm under WOT, the clutch was done.

maireeka

Post by maireeka » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:12 am

I installed a supermiata 4 puck sprung clutch and resurfaced the oem flywheel. First thing I did when I decided to boost it. Then megasquirt, then injectors, and finally the actual turbo. I started all this in April, hah
Miata, wrx, 4runner

Patrick

Hodgdon Extreme
Jr. Postwhore

Post by Hodgdon Extreme » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:30 am

Cool, that should do the job just fine!

I loved my turbo miata - but it definitely made obvious a number of other deficiencies in the platform... Brakes, dampers, overall chassis stiffness.

Gotta hand it to Mazda, the "balance" they achieved in the mx5, right out of the box, was essentially perfect.

EvilDylan
Die Won

Post by EvilDylan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:15 pm

Got half the fuel system installed.

Installed the new pump, got rid of the bottleneck, plumbed the canister for a return line.

Hooked up the fpr, but I need a couple AN fittings for steel braided ptfe to complete the return.

Got the new 1025cc injectors in.

Replaced just about all the suspension bushings.

Half the new motor mounts installed.
poop with wheels

<ZZ>
King 7

Post by <ZZ> » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:54 pm

sounds like a half ass job

EvilDylan
Die Won

Post by EvilDylan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:44 am

Pretty much. The other bushings are on backorder. The motor mounts I didn't do because I want to have a way to move the engine around when I install the big turbo, and the fuel line kit didn't come with enough 90 degree fittings. I did what I could with what I had.
poop with wheels

maireeka

Post by maireeka » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:49 am

After work yesterday I primed the turbo oil lines (wanted to make sure my oil supply line actually worked) and started the car up for the first time since i took it down in august. I didn't run it for very long but now at least I know it starts and I could actually pull it out of the shop under its own power. It took way longer to build oil pressure off of the starter than I was expecting, I was starting to worry that I damaged the oil pickup when drilling the pan...
Miata, wrx, 4runner

Patrick