School me on new trucks

General auto enthusiast topics...

Moderators: RichardA, DEALER1, Prin

ZoominSS
I have no life

Post by ZoominSS » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Also -- here is the 4Runner we just traded. Has some miles on it. It still runs like a champ. New brakes and tires as well.

http://www.hileyvwhuntsville.com/used/T ... be89a5.htm
2014 Corvette

zach t
OG of the Postwhores

Post by zach t » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:02 am

Zach the financial Grinch checking in:
Why do you want a truck if you aren't going to do truck things?

I've been shopping for a truck for over a year and that has taught me that trucks command an absolute premium. You can get the equivalent SUV for 10k less and youndont have to leave the city to find it.
Love to bass fish? Love to prep? Check out my blog!
http://best5zach.blogspot.com/

Nemo
ROLL TIDE

Post by Nemo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:32 am

6.2 escalade. You can get one for mid 20s with 75k or less miles. Exhaust, tune and cam. Thank me later

Nemo
ROLL TIDE

Post by Nemo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:37 am

If you don't want 4wd you can definitely get a pretty well loaded truck in your budget.

zach t
OG of the Postwhores

Post by zach t » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:03 am

Also with two kids....dont spend more than 15k.
Maybe my kids are just disgusting and maybe I just have no pride in my cars. Or maybe they destroy anything of value.

Beckham2
I absolutely have no life

Post by Beckham2 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:25 am

Haven't had either of our cars destroyed yet by the kids so I'm not too worried about that.

The newer Chevy/GMC/Ford trucks have caught my eye many times while out and about. I do like the 4Runners but don't really see me buying any other SUV for my own car.

Beckham2

Post by Beckham2 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:26 am

Of course, I could always just buy a nice Accord for $15k then have. ~$15k or less "fun " car..

AnthonyRSS
I should help pay for bandwidth

Post by AnthonyRSS » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:45 am

Beckham2 wrote:Of course, I could always just buy a nice Accord for $15k then have. ~$15k or less "fun " car..
Thats how you do it.

sp00n

Post by sp00n » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:14 pm

Beckham2 wrote:Not looking to buy new. Preferably lower mileage (sub 30k if possible) with warranty is preferred.

So school me on 4Runners, Daniel. I've always liked them for the looks but have never done research on them.
The engine and trans combo remains the same across all the trim levels so not a lot of variances. Toyota's optioning is somewhat frustrating, I'll break it down

There are a few rear cargo area options you can get; third row seating (pass, its impossibly small and kills your rear cargo area. total waste), sliding cargo tray (also pass, raises the floor height limiting your cargo capacity and only comes out like 12 inches, its really not at all useful and its expensive) or just open cargo space which is my suggestion. The rear seats fold flat super easy if you need to haul some bigger stuff. You can decide for yourself on whether you want 4wd or not, I assume you don't, but its a relatively inexpensive option (~1800) that will boost resale considerably. You definitely don't need the TRD off road or Pro packages, so you'll be looking at the SR5s or the Limited. Do note if you choose 4wd there is a KDSS option that is essentially an over complicated automatic disconnecting sway bar that adds about $2000 to the price of the vehicle and does not greatly improve the way it drives on road and limits its abilities off road, and makes it more expensive to lift if you choose to do so. Its optional, so check for it when shopping.

My assumption is you'd want the SR5 premium, which nets you the nice nav head unit, a sunroof (sit in one first, I hear the sun roof makes the headliner a little low inside and you're taller than me so it may feel too small to you) and softex seats, which is a churched up way of saying synthetic leather. Its got most everything you'd expect for an SUV in its price range, minus two things. It does not have automatic headlights (twisty knob on the blinker stalk) and it does not have one touch entry + push button start (does have a keyfob at least, but you still have to fish your keys out and use it). You'd be looking at ~36.5 for a 2wd and 38 for a 4wd SR5 Premium brand new. Toyota never offers jack shit for incentives on them, so thats pretty much it.

The Limited trim gets you all the things the SR5 Premium does plus 20" wheels, a different front and rear bumper set, real leather seats with vents, one touch entry and push button start, automatic headlights, dual zone climate control, upgraded JBL sound system, and a few other odds and ends. They are around 44 new and go up with some options I think. I don't like the cosmetic "upgrades" they get and didn't research them much.

Lifting them is pretty simple and relatively inexpensive, its also the same for 2wd/4wd so if you just want to level a 2wd truck its crazy cheap and easy. Stock they are very very brake dive prone and it really makes it feel boaty when driving. My lift kit made all the difference in the world and it drives great. The tires I chose are pretty rough for a light SUV so I can't recommend them for the application, but you're welcome to drive it whenever.
I do FFL and NFA transfers! PM me or see us on Facebook
www.quietprofessionalfirearms.com
Dan the Landscaping Man
Mowing, Hedge Trimming, Leaf/Debris Cleanup,
Brush Clearing, Storm Damage Services & more
256-426-7095

CMcCarthy

Post by CMcCarthy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:35 pm

Kids only trash cars if you let them, or if you don't clean up the car. My kids are fucking gross, yet my wife's vehicles are always clean and tidy. Take the car seats out and you can't tell kids were ever in there. That's because she still goes to the car wash a couple of times a month, and cleans the "kid trash" out of it here and there.

Don't ever blame nasty cars on kids. If you're the type to keep your car presentable, it's gonna be that way kids or not. If you're not that type, your car is gonna be gross kids or not.
-Charles
97_ek wrote:Kill it with fire. Honda sux. Nobody cares about going fast around the ring. I'd rather have 700hp in a boat. Murica. Carry on

Pr4mnceMan

Post by Pr4mnceMan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:51 pm

CMcCarthy wrote:Kids only trash cars if you let them, or if you don't clean up the car. My kids are fucking gross, yet my wife's vehicles are always clean and tidy. Take the car seats out and you can't tell kids were ever in there. That's because she still goes to the car wash a couple of times a month, and cleans the "kid trash" out of it here and there.

Don't ever blame nasty cars on kids. If you're the type to keep your car presentable, it's gonna be that way kids or not. If you're not that type, your car is gonna be gross kids or not.
This. We got 4 + my wife keeps a nephew at least 3 days a week and she’s in the car with the kids 3 hours a day, (the youngest 2+ nephew at min) and ours aren’t trashed.

Beck, is the accord bigger than the ctsv interior wise? Or is there just other reasons to move on?
Can't fix stupid.

Why should I have to change my name? He’s the one that sucks!

EvilZ

Post by EvilZ » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:43 pm

They are. The back seat of CTS-V's aren't very big.
401k Racing - Like us on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/401kracing

zach t
OG of the Postwhores

Post by zach t » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:46 pm

CMcCarthy wrote:Kids only trash cars if you let them, or if you don't clean up the car. My kids are fucking gross, yet my wife's vehicles are always clean and tidy. Take the car seats out and you can't tell kids were ever in there. That's because she still goes to the car wash a couple of times a month, and cleans the "kid trash" out of it here and there.

you're probably right about that. My last 2 cars were alyse's cars first and they've been rickety wrecked by the time I got them.

Beckham2

Post by Beckham2 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:07 pm

No real reason to move on. Just looking into different stuff. Won't hurt my feelings to keep the V. I would just prefer to not put a shit ton of miles on the V if possible.

The Accord back seat was a little bigger than the V.

Michael V
I donated to hsvracing.com!

Post by Michael V » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:27 pm

I know, I know...NO mini-van. But, dang it they are just so handy. Doors on both sides open, safe and slow moving. Not bad fuel mileage. So if no mini van...go for the Accord and keep the V. Mike's 2 penny's worth here. :)