Press to install rocker arm trunions?

General auto enthusiast topics...

Moderators: DEALER1, RichardA, Prin

Petro
I absolutely have no life

Press to install rocker arm trunions?

Post by Petro » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:10 pm

Does anyone have a press I can use to install rocker arm trunions? It should go fairly quickly especially if you have a die that fits the rocker arm. If you have a pair of snap ring pliers that would be cool as well.
"Greater Love Hath No Man Than This, That A Man Lay Down His Life For His Friends" John 15:13
R.I.P. Brothers In Arms
“When you can do the common things of life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world.” -George Washington Carver

chevy408
I donated to hsvracing.com!

Post by chevy408 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:37 pm

I've done this with a bench vice just fine. Probably quicker than using a press. The trunion kits usually come with the die to press them in. I can supply a pair of snap ring pliers at least.

Petro

Post by Petro » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:52 pm

It came with washers for install but no die to press out old. Maybe one of my sockets will do for removal and install. I was unsure if a vice was going to be enough but now I know! Thanks Clyde.
"Greater Love Hath No Man Than This, That A Man Lay Down His Life For His Friends" John 15:13
R.I.P. Brothers In Arms
“When you can do the common things of life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world.” -George Washington Carver

AnthonyRSS
I should help pay for bandwidth

Post by AnthonyRSS » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:23 pm

When did you wanna do it

Petro

Post by Petro » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:26 pm

No huge rush really I can wait til it's time to put them on which will be a few months or whenever. Just trying to plan ahead and have my ducks in a row as much as possible.
R.I.P. Brothers In Arms

Bateman

Post by Bateman » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:59 pm

If you give me a diameter I may be able to get you a piece of stainless bar stock from work to use.

Have used sockets but have also seen a few turn into shrapnel under serious pressure

Petro

Post by Petro » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:07 pm

I think it says .900" die let me check.

Yep .900" hole
R.I.P. Brothers In Arms

WAT TURBO?
I have no life

Post by WAT TURBO? » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:20 pm

I used a 13mm socket and a 13/16 socket I think.
GMaddict wrote:That's what happens when they get loose from the kitchen.

Petro

Post by Petro » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:09 pm

I just realized they make a non needle bearing version as well doh
R.I.P. Brothers In Arms

Petro

Post by Petro » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:00 pm

Pressed the old ones out today with sockets and a vise Mike had given me a little ways back. I forgot it was laying on the floor. Now to get the new ones pressed in.
R.I.P. Brothers In Arms

Bateman

Post by Bateman » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:30 am

Man I forgot completely to look for some stock for you. Let me know if you still need it for the new ones. Sounds like socket worked fine

Petro

Post by Petro » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:31 am

No worries man I forgot you had offered until just now haha. I hope the new ones go in smoothly. I'll have to wait til they get here and I'm not sure when that'll be.
R.I.P. Brothers In Arms

EODJay
I need to post more

Post by EODJay » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:58 pm

Petro wrote:Pressed the old ones out today with sockets and a vise Mike had given me a little ways back. I forgot it was laying on the floor. Now to get the new ones pressed in.
I'm going to do this pretty soon. Was it fairly straight forward? Seems like it would be. Any tips? I'm going to be installing the bushing style trunions that Martin Smallwood is pimping on Tech.

Petro

Post by Petro » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:03 pm

They came out relatively easy... I got the new ones from Straub Technologies with the bushings.

Edit.. Apparently they're the same people Smallwood/straub
R.I.P. Brothers In Arms

EODJay
I need to post more

Post by EODJay » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:32 pm

I think they're the same as those I mentioned. The pictures are all the same and so is the price. I can't get Smallwood to respond to a PM so I may order mine from Straub or Colorado Speed. What time frame did they give you on delivery?